Дипломна робота «Lexico – stylistic peculiarities of inversion (on the material of Thomas Hardy’s works)», 2010 рікЗ предмету Іноземні мови · додано 11.06.2010 23:26 · від dansja · Додати в закладки
Our work has provided us with the concrete analysis of the inversion and its usage in the literary works. Its frequent usage has shown us its different cases of functioning and possible models which are so vivid and stylistically coloured.
Thomas Hardy is the author who can be characterized by a very specific, rich language which is worthy to be studied. We have found many examples of stylistic inversion in many of his works which gave us the possibility to make our analysis more productive and significant. The frequent usage of inversion can be explained by individual style of the author, the peculiarities of the Victorian language and the setting which is Wessex in most of the novels.
The carried out study of the investigated problem state, theoretical analysis and research, the results of which have been generalized in the process of detailed searching and analyzing, allow to make the following conclusions.
The problem of the inverted word order has been investigated by many linguists, but it still requires deeper study for teaching and learning purposes.
1. Inversion may be treated as a quite normal word order which doesn’t change the lexico-grammatical and syntactical structure of the sentence. In the given case it is required by the grammatical structure of a given type of a sentence. Stylistic inversion is the device which makes the most important elements of the sentence more significant giving them prominence by placing them in the abnormal position. The most necessary information for the reader can be selected in such a way. This stylistic device is often used in the literary works.
2. Thomas Hardy gave the special stress to the objects, adverbial modifiers, predicatives. In such a way inversion becomes a means of emphasis, acquiring a stylistic function. When the writer gives prominent position to some word or words and uses inverted order of words in the sentence, in this way, he gives the emphasis to what he wants to stress and strike the eye of a reader. Here inversion is used just to provide a certain stylistic effect. While analyzing the text we came to the conclusion that the author made almost all parts of the sentence emphatic. In the process of developing the plot he gave significance to this or that element. By using the inversion he attracted the reader’s attention and helped to realize the idea more easily.
3. Inversion can be of several types and each of them are used in the novel. We distinguish between grammatical and stylistic. Inversion can be also partial and full. The full inversion is used very often and it gives us the opportunity to make our investigation more grounded.
4. The most spread models of inversion are when the predicative is put at the beginning, when an adverbial modifier opens the sentence to produce greater emphasis to the place or manner of the performed action, when the object is put at the beginning.
5. Inversion occurs mainly in literary works to give a stylistic colouring to the texts and make the language more vivid and flowery. The change of rhythm which can accompany the use of inversion is used by poets and song lyrics to make their poetry sound more melodic.
6. Many scientists proposed different classifications to the investigated problem. They differentiate between full and partial, grammar and stylistic, subject-operator and subject-verb inversion.
7. The main functions of inversion are emphatic and linking. Inversion serves to give a better emphasis to some elements in the sentence and also can be used to show the continuity of the events which are described in the texts by means of definite words putting at the beginning e.g.: next, then.
8. Being a very complicated problem, the process of teaching inversion (making grammatically right build sentences) consists of several stages. The examples of the sentences where inversion occurs can be used in teaching correct English. Students should distinguish between the inversion which is used performing the stylistic function and where it is the result of mistake. The preconditions substantiated in the theoretical part of the investigation and the results of the syntactic research can be used for further study of theoretical questions concerning English word order, especially inversion as well as for deeper experimental investigation of the most important aspects of the given problem.
9. The general amount of the examples of inversion found in the novel gives us the possibility to make our analysis in-depth. We’ve found 730 sentences with the inversion in the novels “A Pair of Blue Eyes”, “The Return of the Native”, “The Woodlanders”, “Far from the Madding Crowd” by Thomas Hardy.
Sentences where inversion is a normal word order – 96.
Sentences where inversion is used by the writer to make a greater, brighter stylistic effect – 634.